Monday, February 27, 2012

Preserving memories


So, the startup disk on my laptop is full... apparently it's not very big. Anyway I was finally sick of the errors popping up all the time that I thought oh I'll copy some photos to our external hard drive. I should be doing this monthly. I just realized the last time I copied any photos off my laptop (besides uploading to FB) was before we moved... well over a year ago!

There we go - 2010 done...
Now I'm just trying to get things copied over, almost frantic because something could (in theory) happen to them before I get everything copied. Also, it's taking forever. I have taken SO MANY photos in the last year alone. I'm glad to be getting to this before a real disaster - I would kick myself if I lost an entire year of precious moments captured on film - but by leaving it this long I've made a relatively easy thing into a huge project.

So when was the last time you backed things up? Do you have a strategy for how you store photos / videos and how often you copy them somewhere? Where do you keep them all?

Also... how often do you print photos? It's been forever since I've printed any. I used to LOVE sitting down and flipping through photo albums as a kid - something my kids don't really get to do. It would be nice to have a few albums of photos printed... just have to get through them all and do it. This is my Spring project! Sort out photos!

As of right now I'm about half-way through copying December 2010 over. I'm determined to get everything copied, and then I'll go through and print out a few hundred photos to put in an actual, put-on-the-table album with real plastic pages that my kids can sit down with on a Saturday morning and flip through, and say "I remember that!"...

1 comment:

  1. I am really, really, really bad about saving/copying photo files to our hard drive. My plan is to do it monthly but that doesn't always work out.

    (I've had two computer crashes that nearly left me without any photos -- other than what had been uploaded to Facebook, anyway. You'd think I'd know better than to NOT use my external hard drive)

    As far as printing -- I print a couple of photos once a year. My plan THIS year is to print more photos for a family gallery wall, and then create photo books (like from Snapfish/Shutterfly) for each child to cover the rest of the photos taken. It's easier than scrapbooking and allows all the memories to really be preserved.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!